Thursday, July 26, 2007

Bean me up!

-Within the first five minutes of my auto voyage into Bangalore, as a settler, I was stalled at an endless traffic jam. The driver of the car beside me took out a tiffin box and shoveled spoonfuls of upma into his mouth. An over-full drain relentlessly spilled out its contents on the other side of the road
-Ten hours later,I went out into the market to get myself the essential settler’s kit of mattress-bucket-mug-pillow. I thought I would be the only one looking for stuff like that…I spotted at least five more. Every day I spot at least one person on the street with a tub/bucket/mattress

-My home is right next to a mall. It takes me five minutes to cross the 10 m wide road
over to the mall (any given day, any given time)

-You can find Harry Potter, The World is Flat and The Google Story with every road side vendor selling pirated literature

-You pay 10 months advance on your house-rent, no matter what the degree of resemblance the apartment might share with a rat-hole

-The probability of you spotting a ‘pirated DVD” platform vendor is one ( anywhere you go)

-In Bangalore you have 15 options for Italian food, 5 for Greek, 10 for “Mediterranean”…Plus some 20 for “Boutique”, 10 for “Fusion”…

-Many auto drivers are of the prototype “the Lone Ranger”- they would rather explore this wide world on their own. Some are enlightened-many self-actualized

-Everyone knows what a Sangria is and also where the next party (serving free flavored vodka shots to the women) is happening

-The first time I visited Bangalore alone I was in love. That was almost ten years ago

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

my theory is that madras auto drivers are slowly spreading their culture throughout the country. You find mutated strains of them everywhere you go now

chitra said...

@DREAMJUNKIE: they are the same guys - or atleast franchisees- its called market expansion. Once a auto driver in bangalore told me he would nt go to MG road as there was too much traffic - my retort- did u really buy an auto to drive on the highway?

@laloo: Nice Blog! How u doing?

Lalith Krishnan said...

@Dream Junkie: You don't need to strain much to spot these-they thrive with little con-strain-ts

@Chitra:Thank You! Peddling liquor as usual...whats up at your end!